All about the insurance of a van 4

Van insurance: we tell you everything!

When we talk about a van (and especially a converted van), we immediately think of the Volkswagen minibus of the 70s / 80s. And you immediately have your head on vacation, on the roads of France or Europe. And you want to park where you want, facing the valley or facing the blue waves, the time of a well-deserved stopover. A campfire, a nice little beer and in bed in the back of the minibus on little foam beds that are absolutely uncomfortable but where you’ve never slept so well in your life.

In short, it’s time to wake up because that was before, and today it’s a little more complicated … We all tell you about car insurance for campervans (but also vans with horses …), on their VASP homologation and on the van insurance that goes with it. Ready to remake the world and go on a trip, on foot, on horseback or in a van?

Van: homologate before insuring

A classic van or van weighing less than 3.5 t. does not need any special utility insurance. Classic auto insurance will do the trick. But if you intend to buy a van or a van to transform it into a leisure vehicle is another matter.

After having converted your purchase into a motorhome, you will first have to go through the VASP (Specialized Self-propelled Vehicle of PTAC

Good to know # 1: It is essential to insure your van even if it is in the garage!

Whatever it is, insuring a land motor vehicle is mandatory. And that even when you are not using it, even if you decide to keep it warm in your garage without ever starting its engine. So VASP or not VASP, insurance is compulsory, including during installation, including between two types of configuration.

A word of advice: insure your utility or your van to a third party with your insurance company and ask them to modify the terms of your insurance contract as soon as the conversion and approval have taken place!

Good to know # 2: Think about the homologation of your vehicle!

Why approve a vehicle model fitted out with a VASP? The layout of a van often includes an electrical installation or a gas connection for the kitchen. And who says electricity or gas says increased potential risk.

The approval will prove to your insurer that the work was carried out according to the rules of the art and is therefore not dangerous for the safety of goods and people.

Last thing to know : no, approval is not free! Plan a budget of around 500 euros, divided between the DREAL fee (+/- 100 euros) and the certificate of conformity (+/- 400 €). Uh, one more thing: don’t report the substantial modification of your vehicle exposes you to a fine of 135 to 750 euros! And, incidentally, your registration card may be invalidated for non-compliance.

The insurance of a campervan approved VASP often costs less …

Even if you had the temptation not to proceed VASP approval (paying) of your converted van or van (thus leaving it in the CTTE = Naked Commercial Vehicle category), you would be doing a very bad deal. With most insurers, the rates are in fact more advantageous for VASP vehicles than for “VU” or “CTTE” vehicles.

But VASP or not VASP, the insurance of a van respects the same 3 formulas as conventional insurance:

  1. Third party van insurance
  2. All-risk van insurance
  3. Extended third party van insurance (or intermediate van insurance)

Think about the insurance of your van equipment

Taking into account the value of the equipment of your van is essential. Indeed, transforming your van or base van into a furnished, comfortable … and approved motorhome is often expensive (even very expensive), both in terms of material and labor. It is therefore absolutely necessary cover the arrangements made in the event of disaster, fire, accidents, theft, malicious damage, vandalism.

To be sure to lose the minimum in the event of a hard blow, keep absolutely all invoices, take pictures or, better yet, hire an expert who will accurately assess the value of your fittings. It is on the basis of this expertise that the possible refunds will be established if necessary …

Compare van insurance before you decide

For van insurance too, use without hesitation an online auto insurance comparator to carry out all the simulations possible and imaginable depending on the type of van in your possession or in your sights, of the planned insurance.

You can then compare in real conditions all the conditions and guarantees offered, amounts covered, deductibles applied… For our part, we recommend for the quality and ergonomics of its functionalities, its absolute independence and the fact that it scans, free of charge and without obligation, 100% insurance companies present on the market and likely to make you an offer.

What about horse van insurance

In the horse riding world, the van is a trailer towed by a car and used for unpaid transport of equines on roads. The insurance of the van will depend primarily on the use practiced by the van, namely leisure use (walking) or use of equestrian activities (competition…). Contrary to popular belief, the insurance of a van is not too expensive if one is satisfied with the basic guarantees: count between 200 and 250 euros per year.

But prices can skyrocket in depending on the options selected and the value of the van (some can be very luxurious and therefore very expensive… and therefore very expensive to insure). And the options in question are very varied: in circulation or out of circulation, weather events, vandalism, assistance in the event of a breakdown, repatriation costs or taking charge of the horse in the event of immobilization …

Good to know

Driving a car towing a horse trailer requires a specific driver’s license depending on the configuration of the set. This will be the B license for driving vehicles with a permissible gross vehicle weight (GVWR) of less than or equal to 3.5 tonnes, to which vans with a GVWR less than or equal to 750 kg are attached (or when the GVWR of the trailer is greater than 750 kg, provided that the sum of the GVWR of the towing vehicle and the trailer does not exceed 3.5 tonnes).